DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a stomach ulcer which is being treated with acid reducing

Customer Question

I have a stomach ulcer which is being treated with acid reducing drugs. However two days ago my stomach became very distended and I started belching all the time. Can't sleep at night without waking every couple of hours due to tight stomach and the gas. Is this a normal ulcer problem??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It can also be that your stomach is having a problem emptying.
The test for this is a gastric motility study.
Also, an ulcer should prompt an H pylori breath test or stool test: these test for the ulcer bacterial.
It will not get well just with ant acids if you have this, as it also needs antibiotics.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had the bacteria test and it is negative. is my stomach emptying a result of an ulcer or a different problem. This is extremely painful - I am on holiday in the UK from Australia and wonder if I need to get a GP.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes
An ulcer can block stomach emptying, and that can be serious.
There are also motility drugs that can help.
Yes, if it is worse on antacids you need to be seen.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can an obstruction just present as bloated tummyPain and bad gas without vomiting
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes it can
That would more often be in the small bowel.
That would be serious, and in need of A&E.