Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How best to get one off early stage of depression

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you clarify the situation?
What do you mean by early stage?
Do you mean that the symptoms just started?
Or that the symptoms are mild?
How long have you been having symptoms?
How is it affecting you?
Has there been a recent life event that precipitated the problem?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The best approach depends upon the clinical situation.

If by early depression, you mean that the symptoms are of short duration, then the management is usually conservative, particularly if occurring in response to a stressful life event, such as the loss of a loved one. It is normal for someone to have a period of depression after the loss of a loved one as one of the stages of grieving, and it will usually resolve with simple social support from family and friends.

However, if the symptoms are more significant or more persistent, then it would be appropriate to consider the use of an antidepressant, although that would require seeing your doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not been able to sleep normally for about a year now. I discovered that I feel unhappy and this affect my sleep. Also I have no appetite and have lost weight I
It is common for depression to cause the feeling of unhappiness, along with poor sleep, poor appetite, and weight loss. Since this has persisted for a year, then it would satisfy the situation noted above for significant or persistent symptoms. Therefore, the usual approach in this situation would be to use an antidepressant.

The most commonly used antidepressants are the SSRIs, such as sertraline and citalopram (amongst many others), but in someone with more significant difficulty sleeping, the doctor may choose to use a sedating antidepressant, either instead of or in addition to an SSRI.

In one of your posts, you mentioned that your doctor had given you a sleeping medicine, and that is sometimes appropriate when the symptoms are of short duration and it is thought that they may improve with conservative care, but for persistent depression with associated insomnia, it will work better to use antidepressants as noted above.