Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son has had a Mic-key button 20 years,over the

Customer Question

My son has had a Mic-key button for almost 20 years,over the years the site became bigger and the thickness of the button has increased and now my son has constant leakages from site destroying his clothes on a daily basis ,he is on Zotrole capsules to break down acids in stomach to stop burning his flesh around site and the pharmicist makes up a cream to put on the site underneath the dressings which has to be applied twice and sometimes three times a day.We have been with doctors in our local hospital but nobody seems to be able to come up with a solution to his problem which has become more serious as time goes by. I was wondering could you give any advise that might help us.
Thanking you
Patrick
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

having a Mic-key low profile gastrostomy feeding tube for 20 years, he needs to see a surgeon to have a revision of the G tube site.

Dr. David :

a surgeon can put in a stitch in his stomach and his abdominal wall to help close up the whole into the body to prevent so much leakage of his stomach acid out into his peritoneum and onto his skin.

Dr. David :

he has to see a surgeon to tighten up the holes in his abdomen and stomach.

Dr. David :

if he doesn't need the G tube feedings anymore, he should just have the tube removed.

Dr. David :

is he not able to get in enough calories by mouth?

JACUSTOMER-3flcoyz1- :

He has been and always will be Nil by mouth from an early age,he will need a G tube till the day he dies, and we where told that he he could not have the hole sticthed to stop the Mic-key rising out of his stoma site and leaking

Dr. David :

the site is leaking now.

Dr. David :

stomach acid is leaking out now and burning his flesh.

JACUSTOMER-3flcoyz1- :

Yes leaks on a constant basis after every feed

Dr. David :

so the logic does not make sense.

Dr. David :

a stitch in his stomach and the abdominal wall skin will help tighten up the hole

Dr. David :

and help decrease the leakage

Dr. David :

and will not cause the mic-key rising out of his stoma

Dr. David :

there is an inflated balloon on the end of the mic key

Dr. David :

which keeps the end of the tube in the stomach.

Dr. David :

and keeps it from coming out.

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-3flcoyz1- :

what does that mean Doctor,he is on drugs to break down acids but flesh still gets mild burning and itchy,we have to get site dressed all the time and then place a towel over that to try and stop leakage.,he could loose up to quarter of every feed in every leakage and that would include any medication he might be on at the time

Dr. David :

it means he needs to find a surgeon willing to put a stitch into his stomach and his abdominal wall to help tighten up the hole where the mic key is coming out of.

Dr. David :

over the years the hole has gotten too large.

Dr. David :

and it has to be tightened up.

Dr. David :

the only way to do that is to put a stitch in there by a surgeon

Dr. David :

or have a larger G tube or gastostomy tube put in

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David :

how many surgeons has he seen about this?

JACUSTOMER-3flcoyz1- :

We have seen three different surgeons in two different hospitals here in Ireland but to no avail,thank you for your help,it has given us a probable solution which we asked about before and now we can dig a little deeper

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

perhaps changing to a larger G tube might help fill in the hole better.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

did you have other questions?

Dr. David :

thanks.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician