Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My 7 month old son has a swelling under his right

Customer Question

My 7 month old son has a swelling under his right buttock which we noticed about a week ago. He has no symptoms and no pain or redness or fever. Any suggestions on what this could be?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
Please provide some more info:
Is the swelling just under the skin or under the muscles?
Is it moveable?
Is it soft or hard?
How big?
Where exactly on the buttock?
It would help also if you could attach a photo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send you a link to the photo in photobucket the swelling is soft it would be easier for you to see it on a photo see the link below
http://s725.photobucket.com/user/Johnsmith261/media/image.jpg1_zpsrx5qmskr.jpg.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my previous message where you able to see the photo in the link.
I did check your photo but I couldnt discern any swelling.
Photo seems like a normal pic.
Please zoom it more and also point out the swelling.
Also, please give the answers to the questions I asked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a soft swelling underneath his right buttock if you compare it to the other side you can see that the right side there is s crease or skin fold which seems slightly bigger on one side than the other. In terms of being moveable it's part of his leg if you look just underneath his right buttock you can see that the fold or crease is slightly bigger.
Yes I did see that and I thought that was what you were referring to.
The right buttock appears more swollen than the other.
However, this might not be an actual lump. This might be just a difference in development of the muscles on both sides.
The other possibilities are:
Injury
Hematoma
Lipoma or collection of fat
Abscess
Fracture
However, most of these except for Lipoma would also cause pain.
So it is most likely a difference in development. Lipoma is the other possibility.
Note down these points or copy/paste into Word and take a printout and discuss with your doctor. You will get a more detailed discussion when you ask informed questions. Ask about these conditions and whether they are likely for him, and if so, what further investigations need to be done to confirm the diagnosis. Tests like Ultrasound or CT can confirm this. This can lead to a solution for you.
Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating. We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a couple of follow up questions, could be some sort of growth? Like a cancerous growth or something like that? Also if it is a differential in development is that a negative thing could it cause a problem in the long term? Does this look like something serious?
Firstly, I cannot of course definitely say that it is not a cancerous growth, but I must say that it is very very unlikely.
A cancerous growth can cause such a swelling but it would be accompanied by many signs like loss of weight, ill looking child, etc. By the time the swelling was so big the child would be quite ill.
So rest assured it is very unlikely to be anything like cancer.
And even if it is a simple difference in development, it is not serious.
Have it looked up by your doctor. It does not seem at all anything serious. Lipoma also has to be considered.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say by the time the swelling is so big does it look quite big to you? And what do you mean by developmental?
Yes it would be big to cause a skin crease.
During development of the body both inside as a fetus and outside, it is quite common for the two sides of the body not to be exactly symmetrical and one side to be bigger than the other. So it could just be that the muscle on his buttock is bigger on one side.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay do you think that in any case this could be something serious? Also if we noticed a week ago indicating it wasn't there earlier and recently appeared could the fact that it appeared still relate it to development? What could be the most likely thing?
THe most likely thing as I said is that it is simply an assymetry of the buttocks which is a natural development.
You are most likely reading too much into this and there is nothing abnormal at all.
That is my firm opinion.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so in your opinion this is not something to serious? You think this is development what about lipoma? Could it be that?
Unlikely to be lipoma.
I just mentioned it as a possiblity.
But quite unlikely.
Its not a serious thing anyway.
But as I said, there doesnt seem anything abnormal at all here.
thanks for the rating.