Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had acute pain in the right hand side of my chest, above

Customer Question

I have had acute pain in the right hand side of my chest, above my breast, since Good Friday. I have not had a fall or knocked myself. I am not sure if it is my chest bones that are sore or if the pain is coming from elsewhere.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is it tender if you press on the rib cage at the site of pain?
Does the pain get worse when taking a deep breath?
Are you having any other symptoms, such as shortness of breath?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is tender when I press at the site of pain.

Pain does not get worse when I take a deep breadth but when I make a sudden movement the pain does get worse.

I have had shortness of breadth a few times.

Thank you for the additional information.

Since there is tenderness when pressing in the area of pain, that is typically indicative that the pain is musculoskeletal in nature. Musculoskeletal pain in the chest is most often due to inflammation in the rib cage, although it is also possible to have pain from a muscle strain. Since you do not recall any injury, it would make it more likely that it is from inflammation of the rib cage.

Although it would require a proper examination to make a definite diagnosis, it would be reasonable to first try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, to see if the pain will resolve, It also may help to apply moist heat to the area of pain for 15-20 minutes several times per day.

If these interventions do not result in resolution of the symptoms, then your doctor would be able to perform further evaluation at the scheduled appointment.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Love. Much appreciated

You are very welcome.