Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been on anti-depressants 20 years and I have

I have been on anti-depressants for about 20 years and I have been feeling well.
I am 47 years old and three years ago my menopause started and for that my GP put me on Climagest 2mg. So, I have been on Climagest for nearly three years now and everything has been O.K. Then a year ago I started feeling quite agitated/anxious and my GP said Climagest might not be enough. she suggested to increase Climagest but because I am a smoker I refused so I decided to join the gym instead.
Then, just three mouths ago a nasty episode with my epileptic brother happened; he became worse and as I have been caring for him for about 22 years, that affected me very much so my GP increased my anti-depressant(citalopram) from 20mg to 30mg and because Citalopram has been in my system for about 10 years now I thought that the increase of 10mg of Citalopram will lift my mood immediately but this did not happened.
The increase happened 2 weeks ago and I have felt even more depressed and I do not understand why.
Would you please be so kind and explain me why the increase of 10mg of citalopram did not help?
Looking forward to receiving your reply.
Many thanks,
Athena
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Athena. And we can continue after this if you'd like. An increase in the citalopram would not be expected to lift your mood immediately and it may take up to another two weeks for that to happen. That said, sometimes the SSRI's begin to lose their overall effectiveness over time. It may come to switching medication and I would consider switching you over to Effexor if there's no improvement after two more weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many Thanks. Kind Regards.