Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a shiver in my back even though I'm not cold. I need

Customer Question

I have a shiver in my back even though I'm not cold. I need to lie on something warm to alleviate it
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

how long have you been having this?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Months
Dr. P. Jyoti :

any medical problems like diabetes or hypothyroidism?

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : No
Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you done any recent blood checks on this?

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Yes
Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok.. how long back was that? what tests did you do? did you do tests for hypothyroidism or diabetes?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i need more information so that I can give you an opinion

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : My bloods were tested about two months ago and all is clear
Dr. P. Jyoti :

what is your age and sex?

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : I am 89 years old and I male.i had two accidents in the last five years, I broke my hip and alert my shoulder. Up,to,that I was in very good health and physically fit
Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since you have no other disease, this is most likely a sensation in the nerves

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Such unusual sensations in various parts of the body are called Dysthesias. They may occur in a patch of skin or over a whole limb.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

The different types of abnormal sensations that are experienced include stabbing pain, warm sensation, cold sensation, electric shock like sensation, pain, burning, itching, crawling, heat, cold, etc. This is often accompanied by numbness at the site.

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Is there anything I can do to alleviate this sensation?
Dr. P. Jyoti :

In your case you are having a cold sensation

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Yes
Dr. P. Jyoti :

There are various ways to treat Dysesthesias. This also depends on the cause.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Maintaining optimum weight, proper diet, vitamin supplements, exercise, treating stress and depression will help in reducing the symptoms.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You should try to achieve this at home.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You should also take Vitamin B and Vitamin E supplements which are available at all pharmacies.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You can ask at your local pharmacy for a good Vitamin B complex supplement

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also ask for a VItamin E supplement

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this should help get rid of this sensation

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You should also go for regular exercise.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If these steps do not help, you need to consult your doctor for this.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

preferably a neurologist

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You may need tests like Nerve conduction tests to diagnose your condition.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask your doctor about this and about doing a nerve conduction test

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any questions?

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : I do,all those things when i am able. I have severe loss of appetite and generally feel,very lanxious. I have been to my doctor but she doesn't seem to have any answers.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

anxiety could be a cause

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask your doctor specifically about dysesthesia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you will get more involvement when you are able to ask informed questions

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask your doctor whether dysesthesia is possible for you and whether you need to do a nerve conduction test

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Could there be any connection with the unwell feeling I have in my stomach. As I said my appetite is very bad I try to eat healthily but there is little I have a hunger for
Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes it could be directly connected

Dr. P. Jyoti :

loss of appetite can lead to decreased intake of nutrients such as vitamins and minerals and this can lead to dysesthesia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hence you should go for supplements

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you take vitamin B and vitamin E supplements

Dr. P. Jyoti :

?

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Yes I take vit B6 and vit. E vit B complex.
JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Is there any other thing that I can do to help myself.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you should also start a calcium plus vitamin D supplement

Dr. P. Jyoti :

calcium and vitamin d are often deficient

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also take a lot of fluids including water, fruit juices, etc

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there can also be potassium deficiency

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take electrolyte fluids like Gatorade

Dr. P. Jyoti :

at the same time, discuss with your doctor about doing tests for Vitamin D and Magnesium, and electrolyte tests for Sodium, Potassium and Calcium

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so for now, start with calcium and Vitmin D supplements and a lot of fluids including gatorade

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and discuss with your doctor about the tests

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this should soon help you to recover

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

JACUSTOMER-t3mle5p2- : Ok thank you for,your time. I'll,try all you suggest, and see how it goes. Can I get back to,you?
Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes sure

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you can always post another question and request for me

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will be only to happy to help you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome -

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

rating system is the row of faces or sometimes a row of stars either above or below this window

Dr. P. Jyoti :

click on a happy face or on three stars to give a positive rating so that I am recompensed for my time and effort

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and have a good day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you there?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i notice that you have not rated my answer as yet

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you now need to rate the answer so that this question closes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please give a positive rating if the answer has helped you

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.

Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,

Dr. P. Jyoti

I did spend quite a lot of time researching your answer since your question was on a rare topic.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Dr. P. Jyoti