Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I re injured my SI joint last July and only got help the last

I re injured my SI joint last July and only got help the last two months from an osteopath who says it will take time to heal.Please can you confirm this is true?I still have painful lower back muscle spasms and unpleasant radiating sharp pain in the same left side groin.Lying down relieves it and sitting causes pain.What else can I do to aid recovery?Massage helps only temporarily.
Im 50s slim and usually fit and active.Im in despair.
Thank you for your help.
Best wishes
Melanie
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi Melanie. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

How did you injure your SI joint and you used the word "re-injure" when was the first time you injured it and how did that happen? Did you seek any treatment for the initial / original injury?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Dr Uzair :

Melanie, if you have received my response please enter the chat so that we can proceed.

Dr Uzair :

Please reply to my "info request" so that we can proceed.
ow did you injure your SI joint and you used the word "re-injure" when was the first time you injured it and how did that happen? Did you seek any treatment for the initial / original injury?

Do you feel any change in your symptoms after the physiotherapy, better or worse or still the same?

Dr Uzair :

Since, you are not able to join the chat I am going to convert this in to a Q and A thread and we can go back and forth over there till you receive your answer.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Please reply to my "info request" so that we can proceed.
How did you injure your SI joint and you used the word "re-injure" when was the first time you injured it and how did that happen?
Did you seek any treatment for the initial / original injury?
Waiting for your reply.
Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I lifted a very heavy box then months later I lifted a woman up off he ground and hurt my back again.Did not get any treatment for those injuries but seemed to heal in 3 months then.Last july picked my toddler grand daughter up to carry her and since then have been in pain.Now seeing osteopath weekly--slightly better but still have pain lower back and groin.

I hope the info helps.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Alright, Melanie, thanks for the reply.
The injury during the first few weeks is the acute phase, during the first 6 months, it is the sub acute phase and after 6 months if the symptoms persist, the injury enters the chronic phase, in case of Sacroiliac joints.
Your symptoms have persisted for over a year and this is the chronic phase. In the chronic phase, there is not much chance of the injury healing itself since if it had to, it would have in the last 12 months that you have given it. These type of injuries should be analyzed thoroughly, the analysis starts from a physical examination by a Neurologist and x rays of the sacroiliac joints and the lower lumbo sacral spine should be obtained followed by initial therapy with NSAIDs and massage therapy. Physical therapy should not be started immediately as that may worsen symptoms initially and in cases of traumatic unstable injuries like the one you have.
Once, this conservative therapy comes in to play at alleviating the symptoms, the activity level of the patient should be increased gradually with the help of a physiatrist meanwhile adding adjuncts to the conservative therapy like nerve stimulation therapy, steroid injections and next step analgesics.
All in all, the above should take care of the symptoms in about 3 to 6 months - all the while improvement being sensed by the patient. However, if this is not the case, then an MRI should be done of the lower lumbosacral spine and if the nerves are being impinged then a Neurosurgeon's consultation should be sought.
I would suggest that you go to your PCP and ask for a referral to the Neurologist. Meanwhile, if you feel that the Osteopathic treatment is worsening your symptoms, then you should cease that treatment immediately since, it can cause further swelling, irritation of the nerves and the injury can reach a more permanent stance. In the other case, if you feel there is subtle improvement with the Osteopathic treatment, then keep at it while you wait for your specialist appointment.
Let me know if you have any queries.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.