Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My son is 9 and is producing a constant flow of mucus that

My son is 9 and is producing a constant flow of mucus that he can't blow out of his nose but has to make that horrible throat noise to swallow! This has been going on for about 6 months but is getting worse. I wondered about lactose or sugar issues?? Don't know who to ask first so I'm asking you!
Emma
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Customer: Thanks
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Has he been seen for this as yet?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any tests done?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

On any medications?

Customer: No I didn't know whether to go to the doctor or down a naturopathic route.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should definitely take him to a doctor.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Allergies is the first thing that I would rule out.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Antiallergic medications may help him with the symptoms that you are mentioning.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If there had been issues with lactose problems or lactose intolerance that would usually cause a diarrhea more than anything else.

Customer: Ok is that done by blood tests?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes blood tests like IgE levels and looking at the eosinophil levels can help us in knowing if a person is having allergies.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There are other tests like skin patch testing that can help determine whether a person has allergy or not.

Customer: Would that be a fasting blood test, don't want to waste an appointment only to be told we need to come back the next day!
Dr. Shahzad MD :

No it is not a fasting test

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It can be done there and then.

Customer: That's great thank you.