Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a cyst attached to my right kidney. 4 years ago when

I have a cyst attached to my right kidney. 4 years ago when it was found it was approx. 4.1x3.5x3.8 and they decided to leave it. In Sept 2014 I had to have my gall bladder removed. I hadn't realized anything was wrong because I take pain killers for a long standing lower back problem. So I asked for the cyst to be reviewed. It is now approx. 6.2x4.5x6.5. They say it is a complex cyst.
One hospital doctor told me they couldn't tell if it was malignant unless they operated. Another said it was almost 100% sure it was not malignant.
The first doctor said they would remove part of the kidney if they operated. The 2nd said they would not.
I don't know who to believe, or is there an element of truth in both?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am pretty sure that this cyst is not malignant or cancerous.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The reason why I say that is because if it were a cancer you would have already been in the heavens because you have been having this cyst for a long period of time.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I would still like that this cyst should be operated and removed and the reason why I say that is because of the pain that you are having that seems likely to be related to the cyst.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even if you do have get it operated, I would not remove part of the kidney with it because I am sure it is not cancer.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

Yes, understand fully. I had major back surgery in Oct 2013 when they straightened my spine and put in 'scaffolding'.

Customer:

But I didn't know about the gall bladder going bad because of the pain killers I still have to take. I am concerned that they are/will mask anything going wrong with the kidney cyst. The 2nd doctor was very patronizing and thought I was wasting his time when I wanted to know everything. It was all I could do to make him agree to another ct scan in 9months. I had wanted 6 at most, he said 12months. I thought this was to long to wait. He did say that if it bled or became infected I would feel pain, but I reminded him about the pain killers and he said I probably wouldn't feel it then.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is a complex situation.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is your main concern about the cyst?

Customer:

My main concern is that I won't know if it does start to go wrong because of the pain killers. It was obvious that it could malfunction in some way even if not cancer, but I wouldn't necessarily know. They also have no idea how long it took to get to this size as I haven't had a CT scan for over 4 years. They don't know when it started growing again, if it did stop at any time. Also, 9 months to wait for another scan seems a long time? I am getting odd bouts of pain in the same region as when the gall bladder went wrong, it's not a lot, only once caused me any concern. But I take Omeprazole and Ranitidine for my stomach, because of the tablets I take, I've taken these for years and I haven't had this before. I'm hoping to get an appointment with my GP to discuss this but would like advise.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Also, 9 months to wait for another scan seems a long time? It seems a long time but trust me it is not a long time.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally think that with the pain that you are having i.e. in the gallbladder area that this may be related to your right kidney in fact rather than your gallbladder.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So it would be worthwhile getting the cyst removed to see if this helps you with your pain.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would like that you should discuss the possibility of removing this cyst as I am personally of the opinion that it is most likely your cyst that is causing at least some pain.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I want the cyst to be removed because of pain more than anything else.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

Yes, thank you. I understand, I shall make an appointment with my GP, when I can get one. The 2nd doctor was so patronizing and trying to get rid of me I totally forgot to mention this latest pain. Sounds stupid but when you have someone trying to make you feel small it is very off putting. Many thanks for your help. You have told me enough now to go and see my GP and press on.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smiley faces below.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine