Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Is TSH level 0.74 and T4 9.7 is that ok it borderline low?

Is TSH level 0.74 and T4 9.7 is that ok it borderline low? I have had a hemi thyroidectomy 8 years ago and my blood results are lowering every time. I have put on weight and am quite tired. Thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Is that free T4 or just T4?

Customer: I am not 100% sure but I have a feeling it's free t4?
Dr Uzair :

If its Free T4 then it is very high.

Dr Uzair :

If it is total T4 then it is within the normal reference range.

Dr Uzair :

If that is your free T4 value then you should not be experiencing hypothyroid symptoms.

Dr Uzair :

So, I think that is your total T4 value.

Customer: Agh I see I will have to find out then what would high represent?
Dr Uzair :

A high free T 4 value will represent thyroid over activity, which should make you anxious, loose weight and have an increased appetite.

Dr Uzair :

The symptoms you are describing - fatigue and weight gain are symptoms of an underactive thyroid.

Dr Uzair :

Your TSH is also within normal range.

Customer: I see so it's probably normal then? The tsh is normal? I really don't know what the 2 things are
Customer: Ok thanks
Dr Uzair :

The TSH is also in the normal range, since the reference range for TSH is 0.3 to 5.0

Dr Uzair :

TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone, which stimulates the thyroid to secrete its hormones (namely, T4 and T 3).

Dr Uzair :

T 4 is the hormone secreted by the thyroid.

Dr Uzair :

In hyperthyroidism, TSH should decrease and T 4 should increase. In hypothyroidism, the TSH should increase and the T 4 should decrease.

Dr Uzair :

Why have you rated poor service?

Dr Uzair :

Did I not provide the required information to you?

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer: Yes I just checked its serum free t4 is 9.7
Dr Uzair :

Okay, did you leave a poor rating by mistake?

Customer: Sorry I pressed that by accident
Customer: I was on a call lol
Dr Uzair :

No problem.

Customer: Tsh was 0.74 serum free t4 is 9.7
Dr Uzair :

Okay, is that in pmol/L?

Dr Uzair :

or ng/dL

Customer: Oh I didn't ask im
Customer: not sure
Customer: Does it make a big difference
Dr Uzair :

Okay. Well, usually it is in ng/dL which are the conventional units but sometimes, they can be in pmol/L in some labs in the UK.

Dr Uzair :

Anyways, if this ng/dL, then this is high and it should be evaluated.

Dr Uzair :

Are you on any medication? Thyroid replacement therapy?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, both the units are different, with ng/dL this is a high value, with pmol/L this is low value.

Customer: It was just via the doctors in the uk. If it is pmo/l is that normal
Customer: No im not on anything
Dr Uzair :

Almost to the lower end of normal in pmol/L.

Customer: My bloods came back as normal by doc but I'm just not sure don't know why !
Dr Uzair :

If you had a thyroid under activity or over activity issue, your TSH would have been affected definitely. Because the TSH is taken as the most reliable test in the thyroid.

Customer: No medication and would they both have the same thing ie weigjt loss irritability etc
Dr Uzair :

Since, your TSH is in the normal reference range, the thyroid can not be held accountable for the symptoms you are having.

Customer: Ok thanks
Dr Uzair :

A raised T4 would give you irritability, weight loss etc. Where as a low T4 causes tiredness, fatigue etc.

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service, if you do not have more queries.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer: It was pmol
Dr Uzair :

Alright, then you're okay as far as the thyroid is concerned.

Customer: Great
Dr Uzair :

:)

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating (5 star) for the service.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.