Ask a Doctor and Get an Answer to Your Medical Question ASAP
I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.
Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.
Was a biopsy done for you?
What is the size of the nodule? Do you know the size?
Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.
was a biopsy done on the nodule?
I am waiting for your response
No Biopsy just a Pet Scan the Nodule is small and I have no other symptems I do however suffer from COPD and I am concerned that if I do have the op what my quality of life will be after also IF I DONT HAVE THE OP WHAT??
did the doctors tell you whether the surgery will be an open one or a laparoscopic one?
You have come up against something which poses quite a lot of problems in diagnosis: the Solitary Pulmonary Nodule.
At St Georges Hospital Tooting UK
The vast majority of such lesions are benign, that is why doctors often suggest a wait and watch method. Upto 70% of such lesions are benign.
Doctors will often suggest only repeat CT scans, they can help to determine if there is growth or other changes which may be suggestive of cancer.
A PET scan however can often give definitive information as to whether it is benign or malignant
since they have suggested surgery as the first choice, perhaps some indications on the PET scan suggest malignancy
In that case surgery is best, ***** ***** surgery
but you do need to ask certain questions from your doctor regarding this
firstly, whether PET has indicated benign or malignancy of the lesion
ok so please Advise on my suggested course of Action should I at 77 have an op that will leave me House bound for a few months
ok, please hold on
i will suggest some questions that you need to ask your doctor which will clear up this matter for you
if the doctor says that malignancy has been indicated, then there is no other option but to go ahead with the surgery
you will simply have to do it in that case
please hold on while I complete my answer otherwise we will be cross chatting
They said that it was 60 40 malignant
i will finish my answer first and then you can ask me whatever questions you have
at 60:40 malignant, the next question to ask is whether a biopsy can be done first
this seems to me a viable approach
a CT guided or Ultrasound guided biopsy can be done first to confirm malignancy
the third question to ask is whether Laparoscopic removal can be done
if surgery is indicated, prognosis is good with this surgery
although it is a major surgery, benefits are far more than cost
so you have to go ahead with the surgery
but first ask these two questions - whether biopsy can be done first and whether lapascopic surgery can be done
any further questions?
No thank you you have answered all Thank You Doctor
glad to help
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome -
have a good day