Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am 77 years old I have been tested and a single Lung Nodule

I am 77 years old I have been tested and a single Lung Nodule has been found I have been told that Surgery to remove the Nodule is booked for me Could you explain the treatment and operation and the possible prognosis for a man of my age I am fit weigh 84 Kg
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Was a biopsy done for you?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

What is the size of the nodule? Do you know the size?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

was a biopsy done on the nodule?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am waiting for your response

Customer:

No Biopsy just a Pet Scan the Nodule is small and I have no other symptems I do however suffer from COPD and I am concerned that if I do have the op what my quality of life will be after also IF I DONT HAVE THE OP WHAT??

Dr. P. Jyoti :

did the doctors tell you whether the surgery will be an open one or a laparoscopic one?

Customer:

OPEN

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You have come up against something which poses quite a lot of problems in diagnosis: the Solitary Pulmonary Nodule.

Customer:

At St Georges Hospital Tooting UK

Dr. P. Jyoti :

The vast majority of such lesions are benign, that is why doctors often suggest a wait and watch method. Upto 70% of such lesions are benign.

Customer:

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Doctors will often suggest only repeat CT scans, they can help to determine if there is growth or other changes which may be suggestive of cancer.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

A PET scan however can often give definitive information as to whether it is benign or malignant

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since they have suggested surgery as the first choice, perhaps some indications on the PET scan suggest malignancy

Dr. P. Jyoti :

In that case surgery is best, ***** ***** surgery

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but you do need to ask certain questions from your doctor regarding this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

firstly, whether PET has indicated benign or malignancy of the lesion

Customer:

ok so please Advise on my suggested course of Action should I at 77 have an op that will leave me House bound for a few months

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok, please hold on

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will suggest some questions that you need to ask your doctor which will clear up this matter for you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if the doctor says that malignancy has been indicated, then there is no other option but to go ahead with the surgery

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you will simply have to do it in that case

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please hold on while I complete my answer otherwise we will be cross chatting

Customer:

They said that it was 60 40 malignant

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will finish my answer first and then you can ask me whatever questions you have

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

at 60:40 malignant, the next question to ask is whether a biopsy can be done first

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this seems to me a viable approach

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a CT guided or Ultrasound guided biopsy can be done first to confirm malignancy

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the third question to ask is whether Laparoscopic removal can be done

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if surgery is indicated, prognosis is good with this surgery

Dr. P. Jyoti :

although it is a major surgery, benefits are far more than cost

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so you have to go ahead with the surgery

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but first ask these two questions - whether biopsy can be done first and whether lapascopic surgery can be done

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

No thank you you have answered all Thank You Doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome -

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I am rather surprised by your rating.
After saying "you have answered all Thank You Doctor", you have given me a poor rating.
May I ask why you have done this?
A poor rating not only means that I do not get recompensed for my time and effort but also harms my standing in JA.
I would like to request you to change the rating to a positive one if you feel that I have answered all your doubts.