Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

, I have a condition I was vomiting whole night

Hello, I have a condition I was vomiting for the whole night on Wednesday, and today I am felling like I want to do it again but it did not happened since then. I am not sure if this is a stomach bug or food poison , I am feeling very weak because I can not eat much, please help.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Are you having any diarrhea or fever?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Customer:

I had diarrhea during my vomit session on Wednesday

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Well this is more likely to be a stomach bug, viral gastroenteritis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Important thing now is to take appropriate home care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

home care is usually sufficient for this specially since the vomiting has stopped though you are still nauseous

Customer:

oh yes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I will just note down the general steps of home care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please hold on till I complete my answer and then you can post any questions

Customer:

do I need to take any medicament for this?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

This is likely to be an episode of viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Viral gastroenteritis presents with vomiting and/or diarrhoea, although there may be diarrhoea alone. This is often preceded by headaches, fever and flu like symptoms.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Treatment for this is mainly supportive:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Rest.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Plenty of fluids- you should take water, fruit juices, electrolyte fluids like Gatorade..

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Small meals.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You can take the following OTC medicines:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Loperamide (one brand name: Imodium): This is for diarrhoea if it is severe. the dosage is 2 caplets after the first loose stool, then 1 caplet after each loose stool that follows.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Take no more than 4 caplets or 8 teaspoonfuls in 24 hours

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Bismuth subsalicylate (brand names: Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol): This is for vomiting if it is severe. The usual dose is 2 tablespoonfuls every half-hour to one hour if needed.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You should not take more than 16 tablespoonfuls of the regular-strength suspension or 8 tablespoonfuls of the concentrate in twenty-four hours

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You will need to report to the doctor if your diarrhea is so severe you get dehydrated, or you pass blood in vomit or stools.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Also if there is severe cramping

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Viral gastroenteritis usually resolves spontaneously.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You will also need to see your doctor if it persists for more than 7 days.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

These steps will help to resolve this problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also help you get over your weakness

Dr. P. Jyoti :

follow these steps and you will soon be all right

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Customer:

thank you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

wish you good health and a quick recovery.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti