Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

, a week I have had a tingling sensation in my left

Hi, for over a week I have had a tingling sensation in my left side of face running almost in a straight line down to left nipple. I get intermittent tingling in hands - this discomfort flares in initially after using arms to do hair and then stays all day. It has been pretty constant. Does this sound heart related?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

No, this does not sound heart related. It is very atypical for heart disease to present with a tingling sensation in any location and even less to affect the face. Also, although heart discomfort can be exertional, it is unusual to occur with the level of exertion involved in doing the hair, nor would it typically persist all day.

It is more likely that this is either musculoskeletal in origin or related to anxiety. The exacerbation of symptoms from arm position suggests a musculoskeletal origin. Anxiety is a common cause of tingling in various locations that does not follow the path of a nerve. It would be reasonable to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, when the symptoms next occur.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, I do have bad posture and a lot of my synptoms seem to tie in with thoracic outlet syndrome although I am unsure if you can have this with just tingling and no pain.
Thoracic outlet syndrome can cause tingling with no pain, but it would typically not cause symptoms affecting the face, as the face is served by a separate nerve that never approaches the thorax. However, the position could be affecting multiple nerves at different locations to cause symptoms that does not follow the path of a nerve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for the reply, hopefully the tingling will stop soon
You are very welcome.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I am credited for assisting you.