Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Broke my left ankle on Saturday 4 April, suffering pain in

Customer Question

Broke my left ankle on Saturday 4 April, suffering pain in ankle but 9/10 pain in right arm due to pressure of using it to balance myself - I had an operation including a decompression and repair to 2 fractures in my greater tuberocity. I take 2x30 mg codeine phosphate up tp 8 times dialy, this is not helping. Any advice?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There are two levels of advice, depending upon whether seeing a doctor for a new prescription.

Without seeing a doctor, the only real option would be to add an over the counter ant-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. The analgesic effect of these medicines work via a different mechanism, so may augment the effect of the codeine and paracetamol.

The other common option when someone has sustained an fracture is to consider a stronger opiate pain medicine. The codeine is the least potent pain medicine, so there are several steps of more potent pain medicines that can be considered by your doctor, including hydrocodone and oxycodone, both of which are also usually prescribed in a combination product that also contains paracetamol. Another option that may be considered by your doctor would be a nerve block to create a numbing effect of the nerve serving the area of pain. This is usually more effective when the pain from a fracture is more localized, but can be considered for someone with severe pain that is not easily controlled with oral medicines.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.