Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

, I was in pregabalin months & they av caused my

Customer Question

Hi, I was in pregabalin for three months & they av caused my stomach to have really bad gastritis. The bottom of my oesophagus & ribs feel very sore to touch. My GP had put me on 30mg lansoporazole for 5 weeks but still not improved so I'm now on 150mg twice a day of ranitidine. I've only been on these a week, do they take long to work ? It's seems like my symptoms have got worse, where I'm hardly eating much. I struggle for breaths mainly when food hits stomach, like someone is sitting on me. I am having a endoscopy done in 2 weeks time to see what's going on. It's like my stomach is that inflamed its swollen up. I also can feel a small lump in centre, at bottom of oesophagus. Is there any thing I can take with randitine ? Any nutrition drinks I can have that will help with my weight loss and not affect acid reflux. I keep getting a salty taste in mouth. Any ways I can help heal it all up ?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
You can take Alka Seltzer two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily.
Some other natural steps that you should take for control of these symptoms are:
*Cut down on alcohol and smoking
*have small frequent meals
*cut down on fried foods
*take sips of cold water from time to time
These steps will give you relief.
But do remain in close touch with your doctor.
Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does it take for ranitidine to work ? Will it heal it all up. My breathing is main problem as when I've eaten something small it gives me a lot of wind & makes me struggle for breath.
Hello Amie,
It usually works by 1 week.
It is good that you are scheduled for an endoscopy.
Bigger lesions like ulcers need to be checked for.
Take the steps I mentioned which will help with the breathing also. But be sure to keep in touch with your doctor.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If got ulcers would I need something more stronger to take or more doses of ranitidine ? I'm so glad I have got an endoscopy. My throat & chest is inflamed from acid. I haven't been out for weeks, it's affecting me to talk & breath.
You would also be getting antispasmodics and antiulcer medicines.
Check with your doctor about doing a H Pylori breath test. These are bacteria which can give rise to severe gastritis. If they are present you may need to take specific antibiotics for this bacteria.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm worried about losing weight, I'm now 7 1/2 stone, is there any liquids I can try to build me up as not eating much. However it can't make my acid worse. Also, if not eating much, I won't be producing much acid & isn't that's what ranitidine is for to reduce acid? I'm getting no pain from this, just very bad wind, soreness, breathing difficulties, burning etc. does it sound like gastritis & do you think that small lump could be an ulcer or hernia ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will rate you when answered my question.
You can try soya milk which will help build up your muscles.
Your symptoms of wind, soreness, etc do sound like gastritis, the endoscopy will give a clear diagnosis. Also ask the doctor about doing an ultrasound to check for gall bladder and any other conditions in the abdomen.
No the small lump cannot be ulcer but do ask your doctor to take a feel as it could be hernia if there really is a lump.
Dr. P. Jyoti