Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had bad wind last week but then it stopped but for

Customer Question

Hello I had bad wind last week but then it stopped but for the past two days I've had diarrhoea and headache with no vomiting. I had a twinge in my upper stomach to start with but thats now moved to my lower stomach. Its a sharp twinge and then i get the urge to go to the toilet. I then pass a loose stool with some mucas in it (No blood) and then i feel fine but really hungry, so i eat and i can continue doing things but. Im hydrating myself properly to try and flush myself out. Because i thought this could of been something bad I've eaten trying to work its way out. At lunchtime today i took 1x imodium tablet (apparently i should of taken 2x) and then another one after another loose stool. However I'm still passing loose stools. I know this might sound silly but i just wanted to get a professional opinion. Thank you
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Dear JA Customer sorry to hear about your problem
I will be happy to assist you and work through your symptoms to sort out best management.

before we discuss further , please let me know
do you have fever?
on a scale of 1-10 , with 10 being the maximum pain, how will you rate your abdominal pain.
have you noticed any yellowness of your skin / eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This could be a viral enteritis but if it continues beyond five days you need to see a doctor about it and get a stool culture since you might need antibiotics. Don't take any more Imodium since that can actually make things worse. You need plenty of fluids and juices and the BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce and toast
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have other questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was worried because I'm still very active and its not knocked me around or any sickness like diarrhoea normally does. Is it ok to eat normally as in meat and vegetables? .... I'm ravenous!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's OK as to diet but again stay away from the Imodium. The most important thing is to replenish the fluid loss with electrolyte-rich juices and GatorAde
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you for you help Dr.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure--any time