Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

, I was in pregabalin months & they av caused my

Hi, I was in pregabalin for three months & they av caused my stomach to have really bad gastritis. The bottom of my oesophagus & ribs feel very sore to touch. My GP had put me on 30mg lansoporazole for 5 weeks but still not improved so I'm now on 150mg twice a day of ranitidine. I've only been on these a week, do they take long to work ? It's seems like my symptoms have got worse, where I'm hardly eating much. I struggle for breaths mainly when food hits stomach, like someone is sitting on me. I am having a endoscopy done in 2 weeks time to see what's going on. It's like my stomach is that inflamed its swollen up. I also can feel a small lump in centre, at bottom of oesophagus. Is there any thing I can take with randitine ? Any nutrition drinks I can have that will help with my weight loss and not affect acid reflux. I keep getting a salty taste in mouth. Any ways I can help heal it all up ? I'm worried about losing weight, I'm now 7 1/2 stone, is there any liquids I can try to build me up as not eating much. However it can't make my acid worse. Also, if not eating much, I won't be producing much acid & isn't that's what ranitidine is for to reduce acid? I'm getting no pain from this, just very bad wind, soreness, breathing difficulties, burning etc. does it sound like gastritis & do you think that small lump could be an ulcer or hernia ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Why were you prescribed pregabalin?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For tension headache, I'm off them now.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
It is good that you are off them now.
Instead of ranitidine (if it is not working as you say) I would like that you should try something like omeprazole 40 mg once daily and if that does not work then twice daily.
Additionally I would like that you should also take sucralfate syrup or tablets which will help with your symptoms.
If two to four weeks of this therapy does not work then you will require an endoscopy.
I personally think it is gastritis that is causing your symptoms and this should improve with antiacid therapy.
Raniditine is a much weaker medication than omeprazole which is what I think you should try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was taking lansoporazole for 5 weeks but didn't work so doctor tried me on ranitidine. Can I just ask I've hardly eaten any food, am I ok taking 150mg morning & night, as it reduces stomach acid, acid probably low cus not eaten already ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
At this stage, since you have already tried so many things I would have done an endoscopy to have a look at your stomach from the inside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes due for one hopefully next week. Am I ok taking ranitidine if not eating ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are okay taking ranitidine if you are not eating.
There should be no issues.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The small lump I can feel at bottom of oesophagus could that be from swelling, an ulcer or hernia ? I'm not in pain, just feels tight & blocked like someone is sitting on my stomach, causing me breathing problems. It's worse when I've eaten abit of food. Could it be my oesophagus is closing up because inflamed ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Can you please rate me for my services before we proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will after this question.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
The small lump I can feel at bottom of oesophagus could that be from swelling, an ulcer or hernia ?
The lump that you feel at the bottom of the oesophagus is not a lump, in fact it is inflammation caused by the increased acidity or acid reflux that is causing you to feel this way.
I'm not in pain, just feels tight & blocked like someone is sitting on my stomach, causing me breathing problems. It's worse when I've eaten abit of food. Could it be my oesophagus is closing up because inflamed ?
Your oesophagus is not closing down.
Its just that you are feeling this way because the inflammation in the esophagus is irritating the nerve fibers and thus causing you to feel that there is a lump inside whereas actually there is no lump.
This feeling of a lump inside the throat or esophagus in patients with acid reflux is extremely common and it is not something a great deal to worry about at all.
Also, a lot of anxiety can cause or worsen this sensation of a lump in the esophagus. So the more you think about it the worse it will be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can feel a small lump in centre where rib cage starts. If it was a hiatus hernia would of I been in pain ? So is the inflamation causing me breathing problems at bottom of oesophagus ? I'm worried about losing weight, I'm now 7 1/2 stone, my stomach is too swollen to eat.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Please rate me before we proceed.
You said you would rate me after your previous question.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have rated you please can u answer my question ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
If it was a hiatus hernia would of I been in pain ?
Hiatus hernia cannot be felt by feeling your stomach.
It can only be diagnosed with an endoscopy or barium studies.
So we cannot say that this lump is the hernia.
So is the inflamation causing me breathing problems at bottom of oesophagus ?
Yes breathing problems can happen because of the inflammation.
I'm worried about losing weight, I'm now 7 1/2 stone, my stomach is too swollen to eat.
I would like that you should also take something like motilim 10 mg one tablet three times daily to increase the movements of the stomach.
This is available over-the-counter.
Please post the next question in a new post or accept the additional services offer that I have posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe the lump is an ulcer or where something has swollen up from inflammation ? Am I best having my food liquidised until I have my endoscopy ? Is there any drinks I can take as not having vitamins/nutrients ? Something that doesn't make acid reflux worse. I am struggling on what I can & can't eat. Can you have dairy products ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my last question