Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My wife developed what looked like a boil on the top of her

Customer Question

My wife developed what looked like a boil on the top of her left arm about 3 months ago.
then a lump appeared in her armpit it was hard but not sore a few weeks later she had a pain in her chest now the lump under her arm is septic and the boil is very sore.
She has had 4 lots of antibiotics and no change in her condition.
At night she sweats a lot.
What do you think.
Terry O Toole
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry she is in the hospital.

Dr. David :

it sounds like she has a bad infection.

Dr. David :

It sounds like she has had wound cultures.

Dr. David :

they should check for infections resistant to antibiotics such as MRSA or methacillin resistant staph aureus skin infections which can be resistant to certain antibiotics.

Dr. David :

it is common now for certain infections to be resistant to many different antibiotics.

Dr. David :

she needs to be seen by an infectious disease doctor in the hospital and she needs a CT scan of her chest and axilla area to check for abscess infection locked inside of her body.

Dr. David :

she might need a surgeon to cut into the infection to allow the pus to drain out.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry she is in the hospital.

Dr. David :

it sounds like she has a bad infection.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.