Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am experiencing irregular pains Between my waist and my hip

I am experiencing irregular pains Between my waist and my hip area - started during the night and is excruciating when it hits but it goes away almost immediately. Feels like I'm scared to move because it makes me aware of the area affected (similar to painful muscles after exercise) . Could this just be IBS?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Is this a sharp pain? And does it travel down anywhere?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

It's a sharp pain and no, it doesn't travel anywhere. I do suffer from IBS though, but nothing hectic (I contfol it with my fort mostly)

Dr Uzair :

Alright, how long have you had these episodes for?

Customer:

I woke up from it l

Dr Uzair :

Okay. So it happened just now. Have you had any bowel changes recently? Or bloating, abdominal distention?

Customer:

It woke me from sleep last night and has continued throughout the day. The Neurofens seem to help a little.

Customer:

Bloating yes

Dr Uzair :

Okay and no recent exercise or exertion on the abdomen?

Customer:

I walked far yesterday but nothing specific to my stomach or waist area

Dr Uzair :

Okay and are you experiencing any urinary burning or increase in frequency?

Customer:

No

Dr Uzair :

Okay, this seems to be like abdominal cramps due to gas which can be related to IBS, however, this can also be due to muscle cramps after dehydration or exertion. The later is the most likely cause if the area is also tender to touch.

Dr Uzair :

I would however, suggest that you start on oral hydration solutions like Gatorade and/or Pedialyte.

Customer:

Why so specific in location?

Dr Uzair :

Muscle cramps are usually specific in their location since they involve a specific muscle or a group of muscles.

Customer:

(I have had lots of fluid today - 2l plus)

Dr Uzair :

Other causes of sharp pain in the abdomen at the area you specify are either due to bowel inflammation in which case you should have nausea, vomiting, abdominal distention and bowel changes.

Dr Uzair :

Ureteric colic due to stones or debris in the ureter is another cause of abdominal pain in this area, but it is accompanied by urinary frequency and urinary burning, along with nausea and intense pain.

Customer:

Okay.

Dr Uzair :

All other causes like uterine conditions present just before or after the period and are associated with symptoms like bleeding per vagina.

Dr Uzair :

So, if you do not have any associated symptoms with this pain and the pain is intermittent accompanied with bloating and a previous history of IBS, this is most likely due to IBS>

Dr Uzair :

And since, you have mentioned a long walk yesterday, I would also keep muscle cramps in the differentials.

Customer:

Dr Uzair :

Hydration will make sure that this does not aggravate, the muscles that went in to spasm will take time to heal and you may have to give it a couple of days before the pain goes away completely.

Dr Uzair :

However, if the pain aggravates and you develop any of the signs and symptoms I have mentioned above associated with different conditions, it would be best to see your physician or an ER physician.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

Nope - thanks for your advice. Enjoy your evening

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.