Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

, I a have abused stimulant narcotics years.

hello, I a have abused stimulant narcotics for serval years. I tend to suddenly develop a craving - seemlingy from no where, and from then on drug seeking behaviour kicks in hard. It relents once the craving is satisifed and then I am normal for many weeks before the cycle repeats.
Please advise
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Just to clarify here are you saying you get the craving, take drugs for a time, and then the craving goes away and you stop the drug? And what drug in particular are we referring to?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I live a normal life, then one day I'm hit with almost unstoppable cravings (stimulants, Cocaine, Mephedrone).

I usually obtain them, use them for short period (8-24hrs) then cease.

At this points (and thereafter for some months) there is NO desire

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. When you suddenly have the desire is there any particular stress in your life at the time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is some stress I guess, either work related or medical. But no so great that I feel it is driving me to it

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well we can continue after this if you'd like but this is a binge problem--just like some people binge with alcohol--drinking heavily for one or two days at a time and then leaving it alone for a long period of time. It isn't really a true addiction but it is similar to one. If the behavior bothers you I suggest you see a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy which should prevent you from going back to the drugs from time to time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So the binge - what triggers this ? and is it preventable?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

It isn't always a particular trigger but stress or emotional turmoil can be one trigger. The usage is preventable by getting the cognitive behavioral therapy I mentioned