Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

What is the best remedy gastritis. I was diagnosed

What is the best remedy for chronic gastritis. I was diagnosed with H-pylori and chronic gastritis a couple of years ago. I had triple therapy for the h-pylori but the gastritis remains. I also suffer autoimmune thyroid disease for which I take levothyroxine.
Helen
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. What are your symptoms and are you on any medication for it now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have constant burning and bloating in the whole of my stomach. I take omeprazole daily and occasionally gaviscon.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Helen. Have you had upper endoscopy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes two years ago when they diagnosed h-pylori and chronic gastritis

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Have you had your gall bladder evaluated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I have not, I do not have pain and there are no foods that trigger anything just a constant burning sensation

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--have you recently been rechecked for the H pylori?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. The gastritis symptoms I have been continuous since I have the triple therapy for h-pylori. I do not have the same symptoms as when I had h-pylori eg sickness loss of appetite and weight loss.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Helen. Is the omeprezole the only prescription medication you've taken for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like Helen. You need the scope again to check for reflux and possible esophagus damage and I would switch you to a combination of Nexium and sulcralfate. If it's a major gastric acid reflux problem and you have a hiatal hernia if medical therapy is still ineffective you'd need surgery like a Nisan fundoplication to stop the reflux