DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

my 86 year old mother has renal failure from 3 days ago. ct

my 86 year old mother has renal failure from 3 days ago. ct scan has revealed a retro vesical mass attached to the sigmoid colon. is there any reasonable treatment. I do not wish her to suffer treatment, examinations if palliative care would be kinder
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
First you need a diagnosis.
If this is a tumor on the kidney, it depends....how advanced and if it is cancer. Same if it is colon cancer.
What are they recommending?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure................they have not mentioned kidney tumour just that kidney function bilateral is 10%. Hence the procedure to reduce fluid toxin build up. They cannot do dye tests until they have some kidney function. mass shown on ct scan. they have been no other real signs of cancer. given her age should I persuade her to continue tests given she does not know cause of prob. She lives with me and has never needed to be in hospital before. I have promised her she will not be 'pulled about' therefore I am uncertain whether there is any quality life to be gained

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Without knowing what the problem is, you can not make this decision.
She can make the decision to not have heroics done if it comes down to that.
But much of the renal failure might be reversible with hydration...it depends on what the cause is.
Then they can see what the mass is and decide.
She can have advanced directives [not to go on a ventilator for example.].
These points need to be discussed with her, her doctor and the specialists involved.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I will not click a positive rating because you have not given me anything I did not know. At her age and distress she is unsure of everything and is terrified, her kidneys are in effect nuked, so whatever happens that will be an ongoing problem..as her only daughter I was hoping for something more realistic...............sadly not the case enjoy my money.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
We have nothing to do with your money matters with JA.
We use the site as you do.
The q and a format is a back and forth format....
And we answer questions.
Perhaps I have not seen the question you are trying to ask.....
What is it exactly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am too tired to type it all again you must have seen my question sadly another scam. thanks, ***** ***** perhaps questions will be answered in a straight forward manner without all this idiocy. Obviously I am desperate or I would not be doing this. No doubt in a minute my time will be up

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
My answer above is quite accurate.
You can not know that her kidneys are "nuked" without knowing the cause.
I have seen 80% of function come back with IV hydration, as example.
The only question you have asked is should you tell your mother to avoid further treatment, as far as I can tell.
There is no specific information in your post to warrant that. One obvious example why is what I just told you about hydration.
If the doctors said that this is terminal and nothing can be done, that would be a different situation, one for hospice care and basic measures only, but they have not said this, or have they?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou, no they have not said terminal but I am still concerned re kidneys as she was in complete urinary retention for 3 days . so even though she is 86 treatment may be possible and worthwhile ??? there is no ascites.......I really just don't want to encourage her for lets say 3 months of trauma if there is no quality at the end of it and as I say at the moment she has no knowledge of the situation.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Acute renal failure, even from retention, is most often reversible.
Without knowing what the mass is, obviously, I can not tell you where she is going to be in three months. But the assumption that her kidneys are gone can not be made at this time.
Treatment, depending on a number of factors , might be worthwhile.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou for replying. At least I have some hope to keep going with her for a while. They have only tubed one kidney but that's ok. its the mass I believe that is pressing on the tubes, so will support her to have more tests at this time . Well until more info available

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
I would get the full story, even though it is touch and go.
I know it is difficult.
But hang in there.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou that has helped least with the kidneys. I shall keep it going for a while till know what mass is then make a decision.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.
Any questions.