Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I recently had a lumber puncture test as I have systems that

I recently had a lumber puncture test as I have systems that may suggest I have MS but the results have come back and I am told I do not gave MS . Is there any room for error with this result . Is there any chance that I still could have MS or are the results very clear cut?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

According to data, about 85 to 90 percent individuals suffering from MS, have findings in the Lumbar Puncture.

Dr Uzair :

There is only a mere 10 percent of people who have MS and do not show any findings on the Lumbar Puncture (LP).

Dr Uzair :

To exclude that 10 percent it is combined with other tests such as MRI and the EEG.

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond, if you have other queries.

Customer: What other tests should I have done?
Dr Uzair :

Specific to MS, this is quite sufficient.

Dr Uzair :

If these tests are normal, then the physician can decide on your clinical symptoms.

Customer: i have lost about 30% strength in my left leg. I have no pain really but the leg is so weak from the lumbar down that I often lose my balance and can't control a fall. When I wake up both my legs and lumbar are very much in a deep sleep and when I stretch to try and wake them my legs spasm and then I get cramps. It takes me a while to get going. I also experience pins and needles or tingling down my arms and into my hands.
Dr Uzair :

Okay.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you get a vitmain B6 level done, thyroid function tests and a electrodiagnostic studies (Nerve conduciton and electromyogram) both lower limbs.

Dr Uzair :

Are you there?

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have any other queries regarding this.

Customer: Ok thank you I will enquire to see if these can be done here in Jersey , Channel Islands
Dr Uzair :

Sure, you can always contact here for any future concerns.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes and take care.

Dr Uzair :