Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am 70 years old. A few weeks ago I got tender breasts just

I am 70 years old. A few weeks ago I got tender breasts just like before menstration. Now I have all the signs of menstration with some bleeding and cramp. Is this normal. I remember my mother saying this happened to her at this age. I am worried.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

No, this is not normal. After menopause, bleeding per vagina, is always a cause for concern and should be investigated.

Dr Uzair :

Are you on any medication? And do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter the chat and use reply to respond.

Dr Uzair :

Please reply so that we can interact.

Customer:

I have had colon cancer two years ago and various stoma reversals. I am now fine apart from this happening.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, are you on any medication?

Customer:

no nothing

Dr Uzair :

Alright, when was your last follow up with the Oncologist or your Primary Surgeon?

Customer:

I have just had a terrible winter vomiting bug and am recovering. My son had it too.

Customer:

About 6 weeks ago. No oncologist as they said it was all removed and a low chance of it returning. They were delighted with their work. No chemo etc.

Dr Uzair :

Okay, 06 weeks back did you have any scan to see if the tumor was removed completely? Or any blood tests?

Customer:

yes a CT scan and loads of blood tests. The specialist sees me 3 monthly and says he is delighted and I am doing well.

Dr Uzair :

That's great news!

Customer:

I have had other CT scans when they did the reversals and he insisted all was clear. There was no spread to lymph nodes etc.

Dr Uzair :

Well, in the light of that, this can be explained by endometriosis, polyps in the cervix or the uterus, sometimes bleeding can be due to atrophic vaginitis as well.

Dr Uzair :

But more serious causes can also cause the bleeding and that is why it is always recommended to have a full screening and evaluation done so that nothing is missed out.

Dr Uzair :

Your GP will / should refer you to a Ob/Gyn after hearing your complaints and there you will have complete gynaecological examination, a PAP smear, transvaginal ultrasound and a hysterocystoscopy.

Customer:

Thank you and I have got my husband on the phone to a private hospital now.

Customer:

I feel stressed so will close thanks.

Dr Uzair :

That is great! This will speed things up and its good that you are proactive about your health.

Dr Uzair :

That is very good! I'm delighted. You should not be stressed at all.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes and Good luck! Let me know if you have any future concerns as well.