Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

There, I was in Florida last year, and my 8 year old son

Hi There,
I was in Florida last year, and my 8 year old son had constipation, resulting in a trip to A&E, the doctor had to break up the stool with a probe, after that he was fine, the bill for the hospital was £1400, he normally goes to the toilet every second day, this seems to be normal for him, his GP says this is fine, we are going to Florida again this summer, is there any medication that will help him from getting constipation, The hospital gave him a powder to take for 7 days after the hospital , but I forget the name of it, any suggestions, ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--and we can continue after this is you'd like.

I'd suggest a stool softener like Colace, along with a nonstimulative laxative like Miralax.

Taking those together a few days before and during the trip should avoid his having to go to the A&E