Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

what can I do to stop catarrh, especially at night.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--I understand the term catarrh but before I can answer you can you tell me all you can about what's going on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

production of a clear liquid that moves from the back of my nose to my windpipe, which results in coughing/choking and wakes me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK David--how long has this been going on?

Besides elevating the head of the bed have you tried anything like antihistamines?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No medicines of any sort - so far.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This time, about three weeks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--we can continue after this if you'd like David.

First off this sounds like a sinus/allergic rhinitis situation and for that, at least at home, I'd suggest you start with a saline nasal spray or irrigation system to be used four times a day, the last time being just before bedtime.

I'd also suggest a 24 hour antihistamine like Claritin on a daily basis

That together should resolve the problem for you but if it doesn't you'd need a prescription cortisone nasal spray like Nasonex

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you Doctor

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure David but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you