Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I was diagnosed with grade 3 hormonal breast cancer 5 years

I was diagnosed with grade 3 hormonal breast cancer 5 years ago. I had a lumpectomy and all the nodes removed as cancer was in 2 of them. I had 6 FEC chemos and 15 radiotherapy treatments 8 with 1 beam. 7 with 2 beams. I have been taking Letrozole for 4 years, and will come off this in July after 5 years.
Will the cancer automatically come back
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Customer:

o.k.

Dr Uzair :

When did you have your last follow up with your Oncologist?

Customer:

May 2014

Customer:

next one due MY 2015

Dr Uzair :

Alright. And do you remember your biopsy report?

Dr Uzair :

Were the margins of the resected specimen clear of tumor cells?

Customer:

YES

Dr Uzair :

Great!

Dr Uzair :

The chances of local recurrence following a lumpectomy and radiation therapy is about 12 percent in 10 years.

Dr Uzair :

If a combination of chemotherapy and hormone therapy is used the recurrence is significantly reduced.

Customer:

Those odds aren't too bad then

Dr Uzair :

Bringing the rate of recurrence down to <3 to 4 percent.

Customer:

when the treatment was finished the oncologist said i'd got a 19% chance of it recurring in 2 to 5 years

Dr Uzair :

Okay, it is always better to be careful in statements. The percentages change with histological type of the cancer, age of the patient, her2neu receptor status etc.

Customer:

yes

Dr Uzair :

But, in brief, if the margins were clear, you received radiotherapy, chemotherapy and hormone therapy for 5 years, then the risk of recurrence is significantly reduced. The overall risk of recurrence both local plus distant is around 18.6 percent in your age group.

Dr Uzair :

Local recurrence however, in your case is significantly reduced because of the treatment combination you have had.

Customer:

that's good news then

Dr Uzair :

Yes, it is! :)

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries for me?

Customer:

no thank you

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have any future concerns as well.

Customer:

bye

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes and take care.

Customer:

Yes I will do.