DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

This is a bit of a strange situation ! My eldest son,he's

This is a bit of a strange situation for me ! My eldest son,he's 27 this year, has a problem with weed,I suspect other drugs. He is talking about killing himself, being abusive in text messages to myself, friends and his ex. I don't know where to turn. When he was fifteen he came with me to our local go to seek help on coming off weed. There was none available until he was eighteen. He desperately needs help as his rages are getting worse. Can you help ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

In fact the only think you can do is report this if he is a potential harm to himself or others.

Since he has threatened harming himself, he can be put on a 3 day hold for hospital evaluation. His doctor can initiate this, for example.

If it is determined that he truly is at risk, the medical hold can be extended.

This is really not a self help situation in terms of what you can do, as he is 27.

Additional information:

If he wants help, then finding him an addiction medicine specialist would be the best avenue.

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.