Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Patient with continuous (L) lateral chest wall pain and hypersensitivity

Patient with continuous (L) lateral chest wall pain and hypersensitivity x 2+years. Rated at 2/10 - 7/10. Particularly irritable with (L) side-lying or if some touches area. All other function non provocative. Chest xray negative. Gastroenterology negative.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having this lateral left sided chest wall pain for 2 years

the nerves which innervate the ribs are called intercostal nerves and all come from the thoracic spine.

I would recommend that you have a thoracic spine MRI scan with contrast . if you have metal in your body or a pace maker, you might not be able to get a spine MRI scan.

but if you don't have metal in your body, I would recommend you getting a thoracic spine MRI scan to check for arthritis in your spine and pinched nerves in your spine which could be causing your left chest sensitivity and pain.

another possibility is an early shingles infection of that dermatome, but that would be unlikely for 2+ years

have you had a thoracic spine MRI scan yet?