Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I m having problem problem with the birthing during the

I m having problem problem with the birthing during the sleep.
it starts with heavy snoring and than every four time of snoring while birthing
my breath stops(blokes by something sometimes up to 12 seconds}
i had bronchitis acute about 28 years ago.also i m having a big pain on my knees
and makes my feet swollen during the day, in the morning the look normal
please advise
REGARDS
ENVER
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The symptoms you mention above are seen in a condition known as Sleep apnea. This is a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing or instances of shallow or infrequent breathing during sleep. Each pause in breathing, called an apnea, can last for several seconds to several minutes, and may occur, by definition, at least 5 times in an hour.
This can occur in any age group but notable risk factors are:
Male
Obesity
Over the age of 40
Acid reflux
allergies
sinus problems
family history of sleep apnea
These risk factors are applicable in your age group while others are:
Having a large tongue
Small jaw bone
Deviated nasal septum
enlarged tonsils
Large neck size greater than 16 - 17 inches etc.
I would suggest that you have this evaluated by your GP. The diagnosis is made on clinical symptoms and sleep study (polysomnography) and oximetery studies at home.
The underlying cause should be found and treated in order to treat the condition or a CPAP device is used at home at night, since this can have implications on your daily routine affecting your sleep and decreasing your activity during the day as you feel fatigued most of the time due to a disturbed night's sleep.
The knee pain seems unrelated to the breathing issue. This can be due to arthritis in the knees and can be evaluated by an x ray (2 views) of the knee joint.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you require any further information.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.