Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

i have been trying baby 2 years. 2 years ago

Customer Question

i have been trying for a baby for over 2 years. 2 years ago i had my baby daughter but since having her have been having regular intercourse but have been having very heavy periods. I am very physically fit but not sure if my husband is having an affair and if so wether this could effect my chance of having another baby
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

many issues can affect fertility.

most most likely if he was having an affair, this would not affect fertility

but it could increase stress in the relationship and stress can affect your mentral period and make you more irregular.

heavy periods can come from hormone level changes in your body.

many times as men get older, they can also have declines of testosterone and declines of sperm counts

regular sex is fine, but the optimal time for sex around ovulation is the most important.

there are many ways to try to tell if you are ovulating.

Change in cervical fluid and cervical mucous resembles “egg whites" or thicker cervical mucous is a sign that you are ovulating.

checking your basal body temperature in the middle of your cycle and seeing if you have slight increase in basal body temperature is another way to tell ovulation.

if you have been trying for 2 years already, it would be a good idea to see a gyn doctor or fertility center to be evaluated.

both of you can get blood testing for hormone levels and he can give a sperm sample and get a sperm count

there is a good chance he could have declines of his sperm count and this can affect fertility.

do you think he will be willing to go with you to a fertility clinic?
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--I'd like to continue the discussion a bit here before giving you an answer. You mentioned ovulation tests--have you actually been fully evaluated for fertility?