Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son was misdiagnosed by his UK doctor who told him it was

Customer Question

My son was misdiagnosed by his UK doctor who told him it was nothing to worry about....so he flew to Sweden with his girlfriend when he arrived his leg which had been hurting him for 2 months was very swollen and very painful he went to the hospital in Sweden and after tests they found he had a deep blood clot in his groin they started him on injections which he had for 5 days then went back and they put him on tablets which were then reduced after a week ....but now it is 3 weeks since he started the treatment and his leg and foot is still very painful and swollen in fact last night he said when he went to bed it looked like it was going to burst....I would like to know if this is normal for what he has?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible that the symptoms of a DVT could still be present 3 weeks after starting treatment. The medicines that are used for DVT block the formation of new blood clots, but the old blood clots are not affected by the medicines. The old clots will slowly be absorbed by the natural healing actions of the body.

It is important to note that controlling new blood clot is important because it is the newly formed blood clot that is able to break off and travel to the lungs.

The natural healing process will start at the clot from the ends, since that is where the clot is exposed to the cells that are absorbing the clot. The duration of healing, then, is related to the length of the clot, and a clot that is longer can take months to completely be absorbed and heal.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your advice what can he do to try to stop the swelling from getting worse he seems to have good days and bad
His doctor should already be monitoring the medicine to assure that it is at the optimal level. It also will frequently help to apply moist heat to the leg to help ease inflammation in the vein. Leg elevation and the compression stockings can help ease the swelling, although he may also need to change to the thigh high stocking if the knee high stockings are not sufficient.