Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

, I have had small red lumps in the back of my throat

Hello, I have had small red lumps in the back of my throat for a few months now, at the start there was a couple but more have developed. I have had antibiotics for them but they didn't get rid of anything. My throat is constantly painful and sometimes feels like a knife is cutting the lumps when I swallow, this usually lasts for about 20 minutes but can last longer
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. It would help greatly if you could post a photo of your throat on this page.

Were you cultured for strep?

Any problems with indigestion or heartburn?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, at first they gave me a nose spray then when I went back they gave me antibiotics begrudgingly as there was no white or pus spots, I have had my tonsils removed years ago and the lumps are along the back at the side and they seem to go down further than before
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--could you show me by posting a photo?

And, again, any indigestion or heartburn?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I sometimes get indigestion but not often

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Thanks--the photo was very helpful. Just a couple more questions--

Why the nasal spray and what type of spray?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They gave me beconase, as they thought it may be muscus causing the pain when it was sore in the mornings even though the pain is often constant

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK We can continue after this if you'd like

This looks like what's called a cobblestone pharynx.

The two major causes are allergies as in postnasal drip from sinuses (or from a sinus infection), and gastric acid reflux that can be significant even if you don't have much in the way of indigestion or heartburn.

If I were your doctor, I would try a two week course of Prilosec or Nexium and I would get a ct scan of your sinuses to look for congestion and/or infection there.