DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

When I returned to the UK in October and registered with a

When I returned to the UK in October and registered with a doctor, a 'baseline' urine test showed I had a UTI caused by e.coli, although I had no symptoms and felt fine. They gave me Rx for Trimethoprim, which actually made thing worse and I started having classic UTI symptoms. After that, I was given an Rx for Cefalexin, and again, it made things worse, so I stopped mid-course. They switched me to Nitrofurantoin. It seemed to help, but infection reappeared within 4 days of end of meds. They doubled the dose of Nitrofurantoin. Same thing. They gave me a fifth double dose. I am almost through with it, but now my kidneys ache and burn all the time. I am taking paracetamol - maybe 6 a day - but it doesn't help. Sleep helps a bit, but I am tired all the time. I asked the doc to refer me to a urologist, and I'm told the first appointment will be June 7. My husband sees what pain I am in and has gone to surgery to ask them to refer me to a private specialist, as I cannot go on like this. Surgery tests show I don't have any blood in my urine, my kidney function seems fine, no sign of diabetes or high blood pressure, no problems with my legs or circulation. Do I have some kind of disease? Kidney stones? I am feeling pretty desperate.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is more likely intersitial cystitis, an inflammation of the bladder.
Antibiotics will not help, it is a chronic problem.
You need to see a urologist for a scope of the bladder to confirm this.
Treatments for this vary, a drug called elmiron, which regenerates the bladder lining, is promising.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But the pain is in my kidneys, not my bladder, and if the bladder had been inflamed, surely I would have felt some burning or urgency to pee when I was first diagnosed in Oct 2014. But I had no such symptoms.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Pain in the kidney area is often function.
In other words, nothing wrong with the kidneys. If there were, it would show up on blood testing....and ultrasound, which should be done if it has not been. Again, a urologist would certainly do this. Stones in the kidneys generally do not cause pain.
Most often, pain in this location is from lower spine problems, or lower back problems....not from the kidneys themselves.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, but this is just crazy. I was a fit, active person and my back is and was in good shape. I know where my kidneys are and I know it's my kidneys that are hurting - not my spine, not my muscles. They are so tender that I cannot lean back against a chair or sleep on my back. Please don't tell me my kidneys are not hurting because they bloody well are.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Have you had an ultrasound of the kidneys?
What findings?
Have you has a renal profile[ blood test]?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am waiting for a hospital appointment now with a urologist, but as I said in my opening msg, first appointment is June 7 and I don't think I can wait that long. I had bloods done when I last visited GP surgery; all looked normal as far as kidney function, but I doubt it was a full spectrum analysis and was not given sight of any results.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is a serum creatinine, which would be routine.
An ultrasound would show if there is hydronephrosis [back up of fluid into the kidneys], or medical related kidney disease.
This might cause pain, but as with stones that are still in the kidney, usually does not.
Your next step should be an ultrasound.
If you are progressively getting worse, you should go to A&E, and perhaps they can speed up the specialist appointment.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ha! A&E? They have been gridlocked in the UK for months. The whole of the NHS is overburdened and there are not enough specialists to go around. But thanks anyway.I still have no idea of what kidney diseases other than cancer might cause this kind of pain, and I don't believe it's cancer. So...back to square one.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HI
I can understand that your specific situation frustrates you.
However, I have answered every question you have asked.
That is all we do on this site....we do not treat, we do not diagnose, although I can give you a differential.
Even cancer of the kidney does not usually cause this type of pain. If it did, it would be extensive cancer and you would be immobile, more than likely.
This pain is most often the result of neuropathy, lower spine or back related, even in those in good shape.
All of the other causes we have talked about would rarely cause this type pain, altough possible.
To get a better idea, you need an ultrasound next.
Is there a question that has not been answered?