Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

70 year old woman in very healthy state has had an accident

70 year old woman in very healthy state has had an accident 12 days ago causing a fracture to her superior pubic ramus.
Is there any medication to encourage healing. I.ve been told about parathyroid 84?
Should she continue to try to walk (at present only a few steps due to pain) or just rest
all the time.
Should any physio exercises be undertaken and if not when.
What is the general prognosis
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Superior pubic ramus fractures are usually stable fractures but are very painful. If she is at home that means that all other related injuries have been ruled out.
For now, she will benefit from bed rest for another 3 to 4 days and after 2 weeks from the injury she should start taking steps with help of a walker but only to the bathroom in her room and back. After 4 weeks she should start walking for her necessary tasks with a walker and at 6 weeks she should start walking without the walker for the bathroom and with the walker for her daily tasks otherwise.
I would suggest that you get help from a trained physiotherapist in the initial few weeks so that you know what kind of activity she can perform and what are precautions she should observe. Once she can manage to walk without the walker with no pain, she can resume her daily routine like it was before the injury.
The time she is on bed rest, she should be on strict DVT prophylaxis. She should keep moving her hip joints and knee joints and ankles while lying on the bed and this can be assisted as well. She should wear TED stockings till the mid thigh and her position should be changed every one to two hours to avoid any bed sores.
The medication she can take for early healing are calcium supplements, one tablet per day and vitamin D, one per day. Parathyroid 84 will be an overkill and may suppress her parathyroid's natural function.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have other concerns.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.