Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

there - I recently took azithromycin 2 weeks ago, as I was

Hi there - I recently took azithromycin 2 weeks ago, as I was experiencing pain when urinating and ejaculating. There were also occasional traces of blood in my urine. However, while the symptoms have subsided they are still present.
Is this common? Could it mean the treatment hasn't worked? What could be the reasons for this?
I'm 31, male.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is not considered normal for symptoms to still be present 2 weeks after taking azithromycin for a urethral infection.

It is possible that this could indicate that the antibiotic was not effective. The azithromycin is very good for this infection, but no antibiotic works 100% of the time, and the primary reason to consider that the antibiotic was not effective is persistence of symptoms.

It is also possible that there is another level of infection. The most common would be an infection of the prostate. The urethra passes through the prostate, so infections can pass from one structure to the other. And prostate infections can be more difficult to treat, requiring different antibiotics and possibly longer courses of antibiotics.

It is also possible that there can be inflammation of the urethra that can occur from sensitivity to substance to which it comes in contact, a form of allergy. The most common are soaps, detergents, and scents, but there are many possible causes of sensitivity.

The first issue would be to see whether there is evidence of a continued urethral infection, but if not a urethral infection, it would be appropriate to look for other causes.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.