How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now

MY DAUGHTER 18 YEARS OLD, AFTER DRINKING A SIP OF CHAMPAGNE,

Resolved Question:

MY DAUGHTER 18 YEARS OLD, AFTER DRINKING A SIP OF CHAMPAGNE, WITHIN 30-40 MINUTES SHE DEVELOPED A SWOLLEN GLAND ON THE RIGH SIDE OF THE THROAT.
WHAT IS THE REASON ?
WE VISITED A DOCTOR AND SHE WAS GIVEN ANTIHISTAMINE TABLET BUT AFTER 16 HRS, ESPECIALLY WHEN SHE EATS, THE GLAND GOES SWOLLEN AND VERY VISIBLE
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello,
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of enlarged gland of your daughter's discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The enlarged gland your 18 year old daughter that developed after drinking a sip of champagne is most likely because of enlarged lymph node.
Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections such as streptococcus or staphylococcus.A biopsy and culture of the affected area or node may reveal the cause of the inflammation.
Another possibility can be of allergic reaction from champagne/ingredients of the drink.
Your daughter need following tests:Elimination-type tests,Radioallergosorbent test (RAST),Antinuclear antibody(ANA) tests and Immune System Analysis.
Radioallergosorbent test (RAST) is a blood test done to see whether there is true allergic reaction.
Most likely allergic reaction/immune disorder seems to be the cause.
It is quite early to say exactly & without tests it is difficult to narrow down the diagnosis.I hope you understand.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment for her with an allergist/immunologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DEAR DR ROBERT,

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

THIS SWOLLEN SITUATION DEVELOPS EVERY TIME SHE IS EATING AND CHEWING.

WHEN SHE IS NOT EATING, IT IS RECEDING AND IT LOOKS VERY MODERATELY SWOLLEN, BUT WHEN EATING/CHEWING, IT GROWS BIGGER AND CAUSES SOME DISCOMFORT AND PAIN DURING SWALLOWING.

THIS MORNING SHE GAVE BLOOOD FOR ANALYSIS TO SEE WHETHER AN INFECTION IS THERE.

THOUGH NO FEVER OR OTHER REACTION, WE KEEP WORRYING.

MANY THANKS/BEST WISHES

GEORGE A.