Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been diagnosed with a right follicular thyroid tumour

I have been diagnosed with a right follicular thyroid tumour and the fine needle aspiration
showed a very cellular aspirate with follicular cells(THY3f) I am due to have a right sided thyroidectomy to find out if this is benign. Is this operation completely neccessary or what are my other options?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

I am sorry you have been found to have a follicular thyroid cancer.

surgery is the best way to get rid of the thyroid cancer and give yourself the best chance at cure.

you do have options to take high doses of I-131 radiation therapy which can concentrate in the thyroid gland and destroy the whole thyroid gland and also destroy the thyroid cancer as well.

but with this method, you are never quite sure if all of the cancer has been destroyed.

it is always best to have the right sided thyroidectomy.

the surgery is really the best option

let me know if you have other questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
do you have other questions?