DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

, I have an extra left rib and if I sit in certain positions

hi,
I have an extra left rib and if I sit in certain positions I find it really effects my breathing and my ability to raise my rib cage to breathe properly...not nice.Particularly bad if I sleep the wrong way.end up feeling I cannot breathe.
I gradually feel better as I sit with my body posture up straight and back.
Would so like to stop all this.
Thankyou for any help you can give me
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
First you would see a physical medicine doctor, a type of MD
If physical approach and manual medicine do not help this, the only way to change it is with surgery.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you mean by physical approach and manual medicine and what does surgery involve.Most importantly,are the symptoms i have directly related to the extra rib?

thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
How do you know it is an extra rib?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi,I had had a very serious flu and they said it had damaged the lining of my Trachea.I was sent for a full body scan and they found the extra rib.This was 2001 and I have managed this condition ever since,but it is very debilitating.

so hope you can help!

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Your symptoms can be from the ridge, or from a posture problem, a spine problem, muscle strain, etc.
Lung problems and heart problems should be ruled out.
A PM&R doctor, physical medicine and rehabilitation, is a medical doctor, specializing in manual fixes for such problems.
Surgery would, in some cases, remove the extra rib. But this is to be avoided if possible.
The PM&R doc can help decide that.
OK, so that is an initial answer….