Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

, I have HSV II, my partner does not know, I had one

I have HSV II, my partner does not know, I had one minor outbreak & not had recurrent outbreaks. Two previous partners got tested negative after I found out about the HSVII, both were negative. My current partner is now pregnant & going for a VZV test. Does this also pick up HSV II?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The test done in pregnancy for VZV is an IgG ELISA screening test. It can be negative or positive and positive does not show whether it has been due to a previous vaccination against varicella or due to a previous outbreak of varicella, overall this test is only used to determine the pregnant mothers susceptibility to varicella by detecting presence of antibodies against the virus. If the test shows presence of antibodies then she will not need a VZV vaccination if it shows negative then she will be given a VZV vaccine.
It does not detect HSV, for HSV more extensive testing is used, either a PCR or cell culture. So, this test will not detect if she has HSV.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.