Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

few months I have had occasional episodes of blood in

For a few months I have had occasional episodes of blood in my mouth which has lasted a short while and cleared in about 3 'spits'.It is fresh red blood...no pain soreness or obvious changes....I don't think it is my teeth ..it seems to come from my throat...now about every 1-2-weeks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
If you are having blood in your saliva then you should be referred to the ENT to rule out the blood coming from the salivary glands and the throat, you need to have a direct laryngoscopy and when the causes pertaining to ENT are ruled out, you will need a Gastroenterology referral and an Upper GI endoscopy is warranted. This is not something that should be delayed or deferred. Fresh blood is more likely to come from either the gums or the throat, the blood that comes from the stomach is usually brown colored and thick due to clotting and stomach acid, that is why an ENT referral should be made first because there is more possibility of this being related to the throat rather than the stomach.
Let me know if you have any more concerns about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.