Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

, my question is regarding personality disorders. I have

Customer Question

Hi, my question is regarding personality disorders. I have been diagnosed with bpd but I'm fully aware I also have aspd... is the rate of comorbidity of the two quite high? I'm confused because they seem contradictory to me. I've deliberately hidden my sociopathic side from my mental health professional, she thinks I'm typical bpd which I'm not at all. Additionally, is there any 'treatment' for a sociopath? I don't feel I need fixing but I am curious as to what it must be like to have 'normal' feelings. Thankyou.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Many patients with bioplar disorder are also diagnosed eventually with another psychiatiric disorder. The two together increase the incidence of addictive behavior, suicide, criminal behavior and incarceration. Morbidity of BPD is high even without the addition of a second diagnosis. That is why it is so important to stay in treatment and of course to fully disclose all of your issues.
Treatment for antisocial personality disorder is difficult and not always successful but can be done. Try to find a therapist that you can relate to who is trained in cognitive behavioral therapy. And do not be afraid of medication. Good luck.