DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have some questions. I have been taking deep heat rub spray

Customer Question

I have some questions.
I have been taking deep heat rub spray and it contains 2-Hydroxyethyl salicylate 5%, Etyl salicylate 5%. Methyl nicotinate 1.6%. Methyl salicylate 1% also contains: Propan-2-ol, Butane.
I am on antabuse since 2 days, and wonder if this product can have an interaction. Additionally, I would like to ask if I can use 10 mg diazepam before bedtime occasionally?
Other products such as Sudafed, for blocked nose( with phenylephrine).
I have experienced some shortedness of breath and dizziness. This is the reason I would like to know if any of these products could have a negative impact or interfere with antabuse. I am taking a dose of 200 mg at bedtime.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is no alcohol in this product, so it should not interact.
And no, we could not tell you to use diazapam.
It can be used, but only under your own doctors order, and supervision.
In fact, for anyone with alcohol problems, diazapam is not a good choice.
Even occasionally, it is addicting and can wind up replacing one addiction with another.
IN alcohol use disorders, this type of drug is used acutely during withdrawl, we like to avoid it for other uses.
If you are having anxiety problems, or sleep problems, it is far better to get a diagnosis, and to use an alternative.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.