Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I was diagnosed with trochanteric Bursitis which I have now

I was diagnosed with trochanteric Bursitis which I have now suffered with for 8 months I am finding it difficult to walk and some days cant walk at all I have never been sent for a cat scan or mri to determine if the cause has been a tear or an infection in the Bursitis, they tell you to lose weight but I have put on one and a half stone even although I am not eating more I suspect the fact that I cant get around is the cause of the weight increase, with the weight gain and lack of sleep due to the pain I don't know how much more I can take
regards
Liz
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Do you had history of an injury?
Do you have pain when you press on the outside of the hip?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not had an injury but I do suffer from arthritis and yes it is painful when outside hip pressed I find when lying on the opposite side to sleep it becomes more painful and the pain has now progressed to my right buttock and if I carry anything by hand on the opposite side it is more painful and the limp becomes worse

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
Trochanteric bursitis is an irritation of the bursa, a fluid-filled sac that sits on top of the greater trochanter, a bony prominence on the outside of the hip bone.
The pain usually improves within a few weeks, but the swelling may take longer to completely disappear.
Most cases of bursitis improve without any treatment over a few weeks. As it has been 8 months now since you are diagnosed with Trochanteric bursitis & still have difficulty in walking & its painful when lying on the opposite side to sleep.
Considering your symptoms & the pain you are having when outside hip pressed is a characteristic symptom of Trochanteric bursitis.
Yes,you need an X-ray & MRI scan of hip to confirm & see if there is any complication.
Treatment includes physical therapy measures, analgesics, and local glucocorticoid/steroid injection or other procedures/treatment.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your ortho doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert