Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

, im 25 and never had hayfever until 2 years ago. i suffered

Customer Question

hi,
im 25 and never had hayfever until 2 years ago. i suffered from it badly last summer and seems the same this year. i started getting an itchy throat and sore eyes about a month ago. in the last couples of years ive also started reacting really badly to insect bites in the uk and aborad. i never used to, was just a small raised itchy area. oow my symptoms are much worse, each time im bitten the bite spreads very large (about 15cm) its not painful but is very itchy and it lasts for about 2 weeks. im not sure if the two are related at all? but they both started happening a couple of years ago
is there anything i can do about this? im worried about going on holiday, as im likely to be bitten. thanks
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due this allergy. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The symptoms you have described are suggestive of skin disease known as eczema(Dermatitis).A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & itchy.
The bad reaction you had in last summer & now the symptoms aggravated again is most likely because of this hypersensitivity reaction.
Each time you are bitten,the bite spreads very large.Although not painful,but is very itchy and it lasts for about 2 weeks.These all are allergy symptoms.
Yes,both the conditions seems to have a common root cause that is hyper sensitivity reaction.Mast cells in the skin and mucous membranes contain histamine. Release of histamine causes the allergic symptoms/hives.
You need following tests:-Elimination-type tests,Radioallergosorbent test (RAST),Antinuclear antibody(ANA) tests.
Radioallergosorbent test (RAST) is a blood test done to see whether there is true allergic reaction.
You need anti histamine & oral steroid medications for long term.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your allergy doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert