Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a blood test result today where my lymphocytes levels

I had a blood test result today where my lymphocytes levels are at 1.42 and the normal parameters where showing between 1.5/4.0. The other levels of full blood count were normal. Should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

No, this value is not a reason for concern.

First, this is likely normal. Although the normal range is 1.5 - 4.0, the normal range is a statistical determination that includes 95% of the individuals. So that also means that 5% of normal individuals will have values that are just outside the normal range. If there are no symptoms or other abnormalities on the blood count, then this value is likely normal.

Second, even if the value was lower, so that it would clearly be a mild decrease in lymphocytes, it is also typically not a significant concern. In the vast majority of people with a mild decrease in lymphocytes, it is due to a viral infection and simply rechecking the value in a month or so will show that it has returned to normal.

You do not say whether you are having any symptoms, but if no symptoms are present, then there is no concern about the lymphocyte count of 1.42.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr Love.

The only symptom I've got is tiredness, but I've got Gilbert syndrome, which causes me to be tired all the time.

On the blood count, the other values were completely normal.

Thanks very much

Monica

If you are having no unexplained symptoms, then this value is not a concern. If the tiredness were a new or worsening symptom, then it could be related to a viral infection, but there is not the same concern if it is the same level of severity as is a chronic problem.