Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been diagnosed as having mild spastic paraparesis which

I have been diagnosed as having mild spastic paraparesis which affects my left leg which I tend to drag to some extent, and affects my balance. I also have silent eschemia of the brain, which is causing me some memory problems and confusion issues. I have been Type 1 diabetic for the last 46 years. I am 61 years of age. I am now on Clopidogril tablets to facilitate blood flow to the brain. The walking problem is tending to get worse. I have been told the problem is unlikely to get better and will probably get worse.
I have been told there is nothing that can be done for the spastic paraparesis, surgery having been ruled out. I am trying to establish if there is any point in getting a second opinion that nothing can be done ? My brain issues are regarded as being linked to my long term diabetes (which ironically has been regarded as having been good, but who knows in the early years of my diabetes, urine tests etc, one injection a day ?). Both problems have been identified in the last three years. The cause of the spastic paraperisis seem to be unclear. I understand it is some sort of inflamation of my spinal chord. Any advice would be appreciated.
Michael Pearson
01246 206823
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concerns.
Spastic paraparesis is indeed caused by the inflammation of the spjnal cord.
This can be due to the autoimmune disorder --meaning immune system attacking the spine.
Can be a manifestatino of multiple sclerosis for example.
So, surgically there may not be anything to be done.
But anti inflammatory and immunosuppressive medications may cause lot of improvement to your symptoms.
Epidural steroid injection is one suh example.
Other immunosuppresive medications liek interferons can be used if needed.
You should seek a second opinion from a neurologist experienced in spine disorders.
A nerve conduction study is required.
I assume you may have had MRIs of the spine already --if not needs to be done.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/