Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have post traumatic arthritis broke my left ankle and smashed

Customer Question

I have post traumatic arthritis broke my left ankle and smashed my right heel and have metal work and cannot walk and no pain under my foot and in my toes. I can't even walk around house without being in pain and my legs I have to force to move. The metal on the left I can feel and it rubs on my shoes. They have started me on naproxen and I feel really weird and I have bad right side abdominal pain. What is going to happen to me in time
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hell from JustAnswer.
How long ago was the injury?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4 years
Thank you for the additional information.

If there has been persistence of post-traumatic arthritis of this severity for 4 years after an injury, there is a good chance that you will need a joint replacement.

Most people with post-traumatic arthritis will be able to get control of the arthritis with oral anti-inflammatory medicines, such as the naproxen, and steroid injection. So the treatments that have been used thus far are reasonable. However, with the severity of symptoms that you are continuing to have 4 years after the injury, it would be appropriate to consult with an Orthopedic Surgeon to discussjoint replacement.

Although no surgery is 100%, most people with a joint replacement will notice a dramatic improvement in symptoms.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They were talking about a triple fusion but I don't get it will this get worse as time goes on and what is likely to happen if I do nothing. The naproxen has given me stomach pain in my back and my right side and I am sweating?
If they have suggested a fusion, that would indicate that they felt that this would be better than a joint replacement. When the arthritis has persisted for 4 years, it is likely that it will continue to get worse, particularly in a weight bearing joint, as in your case.

Stomach irritation is the most common side effect to naproxen, although sweating is less common. It would be reasonable to take a medicine to suppress stomach acid to try to ease the stomach pain. The other advantage of surgical intervention is that there would be less need for anti-inflammatory medicines.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am cautious on having operation as last time had one I got osteomyelitis and mssa in blood. When you say get worse in which terms, do you just not be able to walk anymore ? The metal work is really prominent in my ankle and runs on shoes is this bad? Does this condition make your toes bend? Is it normal for people with post traumatic arthritis to struggle this much and not be able to go out? Sorry that I'm going on but this condition rules my life and I am 22. Under my toes the bone there really hurts to walk on and my toes hurt and I get cramping from it and this started about a week ago what could that be
It is impossible to predict how bad it will get. However, the best estimate would be based on how much worse the symptoms have gotten over the past year.

Most people with post-traumatic arthritis will have had resolution of symptoms long before now, so it is not normal for people to still have symptoms 4 years after an injury.

The pain under the foot is outside the joint, so is most likely related to altered mechanics of the foot because of the prior injury and arthritis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have there been people that are just unable to walk anymore from this and like how my symptoms have been for past 4 years. Does this condition make your toes bend?
Yes, it is possible for the pain to be so severe that the person is unable to walk.

Yes, it can cause your toes to bend, either from cramping of the muscles or in response to the inflammation.