Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

its Mary's again.been to my gp who prescribed proton fast

Hi its Mary's again.been to my gp who prescribed proton fast tab.one a day told me to loose weight.iv lost a stone weight in 5 weeks as I'm afraid to eat anything.this tablet gives me nausea and stomach ache.iv been drinking aloe Veda juice and taking a stomach aid tablet I got in health shop,LTS called comfort zone.before I eat I have empty gnawing pain in middle of stomach and up to my shoulders after eating its same.it only OK while I'm eating..not huge amount of taste inmymouth but there at times.burping.iv bad sinus and seems worse when my sinus acting up as I have it running into my stomach.its very tiredning and depressing.what can I take or eat or Soto feel better.please help.mary
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Are you taking any medicines for the sinus symptoms?
Have you had an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had scope years ago.I have hiatus hernia,took medium 40 it cleared up put onloads weight ad symptoms back again so go put me on proton.I took loads antibiotics for sinus and I think they reason my stomach bad.

Thank you for the additional information.

It is certainly true that much of your symptoms could be due to acid reflux associated with a hiatal hernia. If these symptoms do not improve with a medicine to suppress stomach acid, it would be OK to augment with a liquid antacid, such as Gaviscon. Another option would be to also use another medicine that affects stomach acid by a different mechanism, such as ranitidine.

From the perspective of foods, it is reasonable to avoid strongly acidic foods, but the dietary intervention that appears to make the greatest difference is to avoid heavy meals, either because of large amounts of foods or calorie dense foods, such as fatty or fried foods. It also is important to avoid substances that increase stomach acid or cause stomach irritation, such as caffeine, cigarettes, alcohol, and anti-inflammatory medicines.

It also may help to place 4-6 inch blocks under the feet at the head of the bed, so that you are sleeping at an angle. Although symptoms are present all day, reflux tends to be worse at night, and treating the nighttime reflux may ease symptoms all day long.

In the long-term, weight loss will also help with these symptoms, but it will usually take some time to achieve significant weight loss.

It also may help to take an antihistamine to help ease the sinus symptoms. There are many different antihistamines on the market, and whichever works better for you would be fine.

I ask about the ultrasound because it is also reasonable to consider other conditions when symptoms persist despite a good medicine. Liver or gallbladder disease can cause many of these symptoms. And someone that is following a dramatic weight loss diet can precipitate gallbladder symptoms. If an ultrasound has not been done, it may be reasonable to consider doing one, although the findings on exam also should be considered.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.